Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year From Spain


Earlier this week I noticed a huge placement of fresh table grapes in the produce section of the local Mercadona (grocery store chain in Spain). I commented to Shirlee that it amazed me that at this time of year Spain had fresh table grapes. They were not cheap at €2.50 per kilo ($1.63 USD per pound). Shirlee pointed out that they may be greenhouse grapes. We've seen massive acreage covered in greenhouses in southern Spain in our past travels and I concurred. Then we went on shopping ignoring the expensive grapes.

Then I found out that in Spain the New Years tradition is to eat 12 grapes. One grape for each month to bring good luck and prosperity. Don't know why, but what the heck I like grapes. So I put the 12 grapes in my New Years traditional glass of sparkling wine. In this case a Spanish Cava. Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment